Saturday, November 24, 2012

Project 2 Interview Transcript


Space Analysis Interview
Conducted by Lindsey Welsh
Interviewee: Emily Fannin, First-Year Architecture Student University of Kentucky
She gave consent for the interview to be displayed publically

1. How do you feel when you step into your studio? 
Open. There are no boundaries. The space is cluttered, the people are loud, and it reeks of coffee, but there is nothing more motivating than realizing you are all there to push each other forward in design.

2. What stands out the most to you in your studio? 
The light. The entire south wall is lined with windows, so the outside is always engaged.

3. What do you like about studio?
The freedom of thought it offers. Growing up in a structured school system like the rest of America makes it difficult to express your ideas the way you see fit. This studio gives me the space, time, and ability to spread out and explore my ideas in my own way, opening areas I was unable to explore prior.

4. What do you dislike? 
The smell. It always smells like leftovers and day-old coffee. (The extent to which this bothers me depends on my mood/how long I’ve been awake.)

5. What do you think is the most architecture-like about your studio? 
The high 14 ft. ceilings bring “openness” to the space.

6. What inspires you most about your studio?
The quote on the east wall that says “Anything that is too stupid to be said is sung. Architecture is frozen music.” Giving me motivation and inspiration to incorporate moments as touching and moving as music in everything I create.

7. How does your studio make you feel like an architect? Or does it at all?
The fact that is my space, to do with what I please, and the fact that I share it with others that all share a common goal, really makes you feel like you’re going to achieve this goal together. Misery is better in pairs, and nothing brings people together like staying up until 3 am night after night, to create something inspiring.

8. Do you feel a sense of purpose with your work and the space you work in?
It’s like another world. I step out of college life and enter design world when I enter that building. Time stops, and you feel like anything is attainable. So yes, if laboring for hours to venture into unchartered territory of sustainable design doesn’t give you a sense of purpose, I don’t know what does.

No comments:

Post a Comment