Friday, October 19, 2012

More Than a Mission Essay


More Than a Mission
Can you imagine a life without all of your possessions? How about trying to get through the day without a computer? Or not having a closet full of clothes at your disposal to pick and choose clothes to wear for the day? Can you imagine living without your cell phone or even running water? In this world there are many people who do not have such amenities and privileges. I got to experience this kind of lifestyle while on a mission trip to Ecuador. My mission trip was a huge change in my life, one that I would like to share with others and have others experience because they too can change their lives for the better.
Before I spent the summer of my sophomore year in Ecuador I took all that I had for granted. I never once thought of other people halfway around the world, or people in my own neighborhood, having much less than me and struggling to put food on the table or not having enough clean clothes and a safe place to sleep. I didn’t know that nearly half of the world lives on less than $2.50 a day. You always hear of people talking about the hardships of third world countries but the reality of their poverty doesn’t fully hit you until you have experienced first hand what it is like to live with next to nothing. In Ecuador the homes of the locals would barley be classified as a shed by our American standards. Most people had dirt floors in their one or two bedroom homes, camping style cooking facilities, and if they were lucky, a working toilet. What amazed me was that this was how they lived, everyday. This insubstantial lifestyle was all these people had ever known and yet they were completely content with their lives.
I saw my life differently when I returned home from my mission trip. I became more independent and outgoing, and more appreciative of what I have. I now cherish warm showers, running water, and a clean comfortable place to sleep and work. I never look at material things the same way again. The first time I stepped into my bedroom after returning home, I was sickened by all the stuff I had accumulated. I gave away bags and bags of clothes, hygiene products and other necessities after returning home. I went to Ecuador to change the lives of others, but it ended up changing me as well.
Ecuador and its people were the only thing I could think of and after such a big change in my life, I had to tell everyone. I talked about my trip for months after I got back. For most people, I described what I did while I was there and told many stories from my time there. Many people were very curious and excited to hear what I had to say, which is something I am not normally used to. My family especially, were hung on my every word and asked many questions about what it was like and how I felt coming home. My family saw the change that took place in me after I had returned home which sparked even more discussions. However, when I tried to talk to my friends about Ecuador and the things I had seen, there was some interest but they weren’t fixed on my every word like my family was. My friends were glad I was home and were somewhat curious as to how I liked it but many failed to see exactly how much my trip had impacted me. They just didn’t have as much of an interest as my family.  
I feel that everyone needs this kind of exposure to the world and needs to see things through the eyes of those who are less fortunate than they. I tried to express this to my friends and family but the feelings and adventures of Ecuador are nearly impossible to completely describe in order to truly grasp the impact they can have. One thing that will always stick with me was the look of gratitude and thanks on the faces of the people whose lives we had touched. I remember specifically the look on the face of a small child who I had just given a soccer ball to which was priceless and indescribable. We also ended up helping a young family that was just starting off by giving them enough rice and beans to last them for weeks. After seeing the looks and the people’s faces you can’t shake the feelings of gratification and humbleness. I also never thought I would feel guilty for getting dressed in the morning. Everyday for the two weeks in Ecuador I would put on a fresh shirt and pants and would go out to see the locals in the same clothes they had worn the past 5 days. They simply didn’t have enough. Everyone needs to view things like this first hand. You begin to not only improve yourself but also, you try to improve the world and make it a better place for others.
By helping others who are less fortunate than you, you are giving yourself a chance to picture life differently. It allows you to re-evaluate priorities and your overall thoughts on life. Instead of “needing” the newest pair of Nike’s when you already have 5 other pairs, you may decide that the shoes aren’t all that important or that they are really a true necessity. Many people confuse wants and needs, myself included. This is why my mission trip was so eye-opening for me. I don’t feel like I need as many things after seeing people living contently with so little. I don’t go out and buy new clothes or the latest electronics because I know that I really do not need them. I don’t need a closet stuffed with clothes that I may wear maybe twice a year and I definitely don’t need a phone that can fly, they have perfected that right?
There are many useless things that people are willing to pay large sums of money for when people in other parts of the world have never even touched a computer or cannot fathom the use of a cell phone. It goes the same way as well; it is hard for many people to contemplate a household without a television. For me, this is an instance where people are blind to their “needs” and wants. If they were to use the money they would have used to buy unnecessary items and used them for the good of others, many people’s lives could improve significantly. But where do we draw the line at what is or is not unnecessary? In our society a computer or a smart phone is a necessity for most jobs or everyday life. However, in a third world society, things like computers and cell phones may not be available because they simply aren’t required for daily life.
Through my experiences in Ecuador I was able to change the way I lived and make myself, and hopefully the world, better for people to live. We all may not have everything we want but that doesn’t mean we all can’t live in comfort and security. I wish all people can realize how easy their lives are when compared to others, and that is what Ecuador showed me. No matter how awful my day is here in the States, I still have better living conditions and a better lifestyle than many unfortunate people across the globe. I hope that people are inspired by myself to reach out to their neighbors and fellow human beings.
Not everyone can travel to another country to help the needy but there is always something that can be done for those less fortunate than us, even in your own community. The homeless count in America is 646, 917 people or.21 percent and in the state of Kentucky there are 6,623 people at a rate of .11 percent. There are many volunteer opportunities both locally and world wide that will help others get involved in the conflicts and life struggles of others. Many communities have local soup kitchens and homeless shelters that are always in need of volunteers to help. There are also many safe houses, charity organizations, and even religious institutions that need assistance in order to help the needy. Everyone has a skill or resource that they can use for the benefit of others. Like to build? There are plenty of opportunities for those who like to work with their hands to go out and build. Join a Habitat for Humanity group and help build a house for a family in need. Want to travel? There are also many organizations that go around the United States and even outside of the country to help others. The organization I participated with is called Maranatha Volunteers International; they specialize in worldwide missions and evangelism through community service. There are plenty of possibilities out there for people who want to help; you don’t have to look very far. When we choose to help others the world starts to change for the benefit of all. When you get out into the world and make a difference you are not only helping others but you are also be helping yourself.





Works Cited

1.   Anup Shah. “Poverty Facts and Stats”. Global Issues Social, Political, Economic, and Environmental Issues that Affect Us All. Inter Press Service International News Agency, September 20, 2010. Web. Oct 18, 2012
2.   n.p. State Health Facts. Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, January 2012. Oct 28, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment